Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sore Butt (Gluteus Maximus)

It has been a beautiful day here in Athens for the past few days. Yesterday Jenn and I went on a 15 mile bike ride with Andrew and Heather and had a wonderful time. It was a beautiful day and riding on the path next to the river really made me appreciate the beauty of Mother Nature and the creator who made it all. Today Jenn and I decided to take the road bikes out for the first time of the year and man we were both feeling yesterday's ride. Sitting down today I noticed a little discomfort in my butt so my pain while on the bike was not unexpected. I figure however that the only way to keep this from being a problem this summer every time I ride I just need to push through the discomfort and get my rear reconditioned.

PS. I am sure some of my medical readers could explain this discomfort to me, in fact I would be interested to know why this happens and what I can do to help it.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

The pain is due to the activation of the pudendal nerve ( S2-4) as it wraps around the ischial tuberosities ( sit bones) to innervate the skin on the labia majora or scrotum ( depending on if you are a female or male.
Because of the compression of the tissue in this area. There has probably been some trauma to the muscles in this area that causes increase fluid to the tissue causing swelling and pain.

As we learned yesterday. Once the brain perceives pain in the area, it is more sensitive to further pain there for awhile and then will eventually go away.